Basic Policy of the Internal Control Systems
I．Basic Concepts for the Development of Internal Control Systems
- NTT shall develop a system of internal controls through taking measures for the prevention and minimization of losses, with the objectives of ensuring compliance with legal requirements, managing risks, and achieving appropriate and efficient business operations.
- NTT shall establish the Internal Control Office which oversees the establishment of internal control rules and frameworks. The Internal Control Office shall evaluate the effectiveness of the internal control systems based on internal audits regarding high risk matters affecting the entire NTT Group, and shall make sure that necessary corrective measures and improvements are implemented.
- NTT shall also take appropriate measures to ensure the reliability of its internal control systems for financial reporting based on the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act.
- As a chief executive officer, the president shall be responsible for ensuring the development and operation of the internal control systems.
Ⅱ. Development of the Internal Control Systems
1. Systems to ensure that the performance of duties by members of the board and employees conform with laws and regulations and NTT's Articles of Incorporation
NTT shall implement the following measures with the objective of ensuring that its business is conducted in compliance with laws and regulations and in accordance with high ethical standards:
- NTT shall establish the Employment Rules which require employees to adhere faithfully to applicable laws, regulations and official notices, and to devote all their efforts to the performance of their duties so that business activities are appropriately and effectively carried out.
- NTT shall adopt the NTT Group Corporate Ethics Charter setting forth specific conduct guidelines concerning corporate ethics for all NTT Group officers and employees.
- NTT shall establish the Corporate Ethics Committee, chaired by the Senior Executive Vice President, to clarify the structure of responsibilities for corporate ethics. It addresses promotion of corporate ethics, improvement of compliance awareness, maintenance of corporate discipline, and investigates whistleblowers' allegation.
- NTT shall establish an internal Corporate Ethics Helpline at each NTT Group company and a group-wide external Corporate Ethics Helpline handled by an independent law firm in order to foster a more open corporate culture. Whistleblower reports may be made on an anonymous or identified basis. NTT shall ensure that whistleblowers do not suffer disadvantage as a result of using these helplines.
- Corporate ethics training shall be conducted as part of continuous educational activities for officers and employees. In addition, surveys on awareness of corporate ethics shall be conducted to check the effectiveness of these activities.
2. Rules and other systems concerning business risk management
NTT shall take the following measures to appropriately manage business risks:
- NTT shall establish the Risk Management Rules to prescribe fundamental rules concerning risk management and to promote appropriate and efficient business operations.
- NTT shall establish the Business Risk Management Committee, chaired by the Senior Executive Vice President, to clarify responsibilities concerning management of business risks and to perform crisis management in response to new business risks affecting corporate operations.
- In order to address group-wide coordination of risk management, NTT shall also formulate the Business Risk Management Manual to focus on preventing and preparing for risks, and positioning NTT Group to respond appropriately and rapidly as risks materialize.
3. Systems for ensuring that members of the Board efficiently perform their duties
NTT shall take the following measures to ensure that its business activities are managed efficiently through allocating responsibilities appropriately among members of the Board and maintaining an appropriate oversight structure to monitor such matters:
- NTT shall adopt the Organization Rules governing the functions and operations of internal organizational groups, and the Authority Matrix setting forth the allocation of responsibilities among the various organizational groups.
- NTT shall adopt the Rules for the Board of Directors governing the function and responsibilities of the Board of Directors. In principle, the Board of Directors shall hold meetings once each month, and be responsible for decisions on important managerial matters on the basis of applicable laws and regulations, business judgment principles, and other considerations including the duty of care.
Members of the Board shall report regularly to the Board of Directors the status of implementation of their duties.
- The Board of Directors shall include outside directors with independent perspectives to reinforce the oversight function for ensuring the impartial performance of duties.
- As a holding company that oversees and coordinates NTT Group, NTT shall establish the Executive Officers Meeting and subcommittees for the purpose of considering and deciding important managerial matters of NTT and NTT Group, with the objective of promoting efficient and effective group management.
NTT Group shall also establish a reporting structure for matters regarding business operations of group companies.
4. Systems for retaining and managing information related to the performance of duties of members of the Board
NTT shall adopt the following measures to facilitate appropriate and efficient conduct of business activities through appropriate management of information on the performance of duties by members of the Board:
- NTT shall adopt the Document Management Rules and the Rules for Information Security Management to manage documents (including related materials and information recorded on electronic media; referred to as "Documents") and other information properly.
- Documents shall be retained for the periods required by law and/or as necessary for business operations.
5. Systems for ensuring the propriety of the business activities of NTT Group
NTT shall ensure that transactions among NTT Group companies are conducted appropriately and in compliance with laws and regulations, and that all group companies adopt following measures to conduct their business operations appropriately and to contribute to the growth and development of NTT Group:
- Establishing a crisis communication system to notify the parent company,
- Conducting employee education and training to prevent fraud or misconduct,
- Establishing systems for information security and protection of personal information,
- Reporting regularly to the parent company on their financial condition, and
- Accepting audits by the parent company's internal audit division.
6. Employees who assist Audit & Supervisory Board Members in the performance of their duties and the independence of those employees from members of the Board
NTT shall adopt the following measures with respect to employees who assist Audit & Supervisory Board Members in the performance of their duties to ensure the effective performance of audits by Audit & Supervisory Board Members:
- Office of Audit & Supervisory Board Members shall be established as an integral part of NTT's corporate organization under the Companies Act. Office of Audit & Supervisory Board Members shall be staffed with dedicated personnel who work full time in assisting Audit & Supervisory Board Members in the performance of their duties.
- Personnel assigned to Office of Audit & Supervisory Board Members perform their responsibilities at the instruction and direction of Audit & Supervisory Board Members.
- Decisions on transfer of personnel assigned to Office of Audit & Supervisory Board Members, evaluations of such personnel shall be made with due regard for the opinion of the Audit & Supervisory Board.
7. Systems for reporting to Audit & Supervisory Board Members by members of the Board and employees and systems for ensuring effective implementation of audits by Audit & Supervisory Board Members
To ensure that audits by Audit & Supervisory Board Members are carried out effectively, NTT shall adopt the following measures concerning reporting to Audit & Supervisory Board Members by members of the Board and employees with regard to important matters relating to the performance of their duties:
- Members of the board and other personnel report the following matters concerning the performance of their duties:
Matters resolved at Executive Officers Meeting;
Matters that cause or may cause substantial damage to NTT;
Monthly financial reports;
Results of internal audits;
Matters that pose a risk of violation of laws and regulations or the Articles of Incorporation;
Material matters reported by group companies; and
Other material compliance matters.
- Representative members of the Board, accounting auditors, and the Internal Control Office shall report to and exchange ideas and opinions with Audit & Supervisory Board Members periodically or as needed upon request from Audit & Supervisory Board Members.
- Audit & Supervisory Board Members have the right to attend meetings of the Board of Directors and other important meetings.
- Audit & supervisory board members auditors may contract independently with and seek advice from external experts with respect to the performance of audit operations.
- Audit & Supervisory Board Members may request prepayment or reimbursement of expenses incurred in the execution of their duties. NTT shall provide prepayment or reimbursement upon such requests.
Evaluation by Society
As one of the most innovative companies in IP and patent area. NTT received the award for 7th consecutive year
Established a council to promote secure digital economy together with multi-national companies
WEB media that thinks about the future with NTT
3D space-type owned media that embodies "Remote world"